Monday, January 8, 2018

Hagel and Confucianism

I always complain with Gianluca that Confucianism is not systematic and likely not self-consistent. You can quote some pieces to support one argument, and find another piece for some different argument.

Me: I've learned a particular German philosopher was commenting on Confucianism... who is that guy? I don't know how to pronounce his name in German or English. Gianluca: Friedrich!
Me (googling): Hagel. Right, he is Friedrich!
Gianluca: Hagel wouldn't appreciate Confucianism, because he is the person who has a very systematic approach.
Me: I see. Indeed, the Analects is a collection of Facebook posts or twitters from Confucius' students in my opinion. It is not systematic at all.
Gianluca: Hagel would come to the librarian, "could you please give me a complete translation of the Analects?" "Sorry, it is the complete translation."

No comments :